Guruphiliac: A Guru Popular With The Pros



Monday, April 11, 2005

A Guru Popular With The Pros

File under: Gurus Clockin' Dollars

When Mardan Mamat gave credit to his guru for his professional golfing success, Sukhdev Singh was outed as the possible secret weapon of a number of professional athletes in Asia. Besides Mamat and three other golfers, Singh has coached a Grand Prix driver, Indian cricket player and even an Indian hockey coach.

We're not sure there can be such a thing as a good Indian hockey team. But there's certainly no reason why the others couldn't perform at the top of their leagues, possibly advanced there due to the breathing practices taught by Sukhdev Singh. Or, they could all just be paying him to whip up some winning mojo, seeing as he's a guru with siddhis and all.

5 Comments:

At 4/12/2005 1:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I assume by "hockey team" they mean real hockey, not the one played with ice skates. The Indian real-hockey team is pretty good, and has won Olympic medals (again, real Olympics, not the snowy ones) more than once.

 
At 4/12/2005 8:54 AM, Blogger guruphiliac said...

Ha!

You could be right, insofar as the Indian hockey player could be a FIELD hockey player, which we would call "fake" hockey or "girl" hockey where I'm from. ;)

 
At 4/17/2005 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As most of the Gurus you cover seem to come from India, I guess this would be yet another point on which they would likely disagree with you, possibly citing the girly helmets and pads.

That's all besides the point, though. I am really enjoying your blog, and one on this theme has been sorely needed for some time. I wish I could publish your stuff in some of the newspapers here in Delhi. My occasional little help to you and your readers will continue to be in the form of corrections to errors born of lack of familiarity with finer points of our culture (eg real hockey ;).

 
At 4/17/2005 8:20 AM, Blogger guruphiliac said...

Hey Taj.

I appreciate your reading the blog, your comments, and any help, suggestions or tips you may be able to provide.

I was raised in the north mid-west of the States, where hockey rules supreme. In that part of the country there is no men's field hockey in scholastic sports. But there is women's field hockey, hence my statement and my knowledge that any men from that area would absolutely refuse to consider it real hockey.

Besides, I had to find something to make a joke of here. Indian hockey was the most likely target, their gold medal winning-ways notwithstanding.

Please tell your friends about the blog, at least those who don't want to see my throat slashed for defaming and defiling their favorite God action figure.

 
At 4/17/2005 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jody,

That almost (almost!) sounds like an apology, which leads me to believe I left a few too many smileys out of my earlier comments. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home